Morning Smoothies help “Break the Fast”
Smoothies are a popular way to pack a to of important nutrients into one meal.
Smoothies are a popular way to pack a ton of important nutrients into one meal. A great alternative to skipping breakfast, a morning smoothie can help you save time without compromising your health. After sleeping all night, and not eating anything since dinner the night before, by morning our bodies are ready to “break the fast”. A quick and healthy morning smoothie may just what you need to start your day off right – especially for the busy mom trying to get everyone off to school and work without stuffing their mouths full of Pop Tarts!
I’ve been drinking my morning smoothies with Shakeology every single day, including weekends, over the last five years. They are convenient, take less than a minute to make, it’s a no-brainer in terms of planning and prep, and it’s definitely higher in nutrients than my old standby, cereal, toast and a glass of OJ (aka “carbs and sugar”).
It’s really become the healthiest meal of my day.
Important smoothie note: Mixing up smoothies with your favorite berry blend or veggie concoction can be an amazing way to fuel your body as you head out the door, but be cautious. Don’t just load up the blender in a free for all – portion sizes still matter, and additives like ice cream, peanut butter, and sugar can quickly load on the calories. Take into account the sum total of your ingredients just to be sure you aren’t doing more harm than good.
- You may substitute the liquid depending on your taste (e.g., milk, water, almond milk). Avoid adding fruit juices, as they add to a higher sugar count.
- For a slushy smoothie add between 1/2 to 3/4 cup of ice, and experiment with the various settings on your blender.
- If you don’t have a blender, a “Magic Bullet” works well (Amazon link), especially for travel. Many of the recipes can be made with just a shaker cup.
- Want a creamier version? Just add more ice, or some greek yogurt.
- You can make your smoothie even “greener” by adding spinach to nearly any recipe. Your kids may not even notice!
- Although the recipes here are typically used at breakfast, Shakeology is a very nutrient-dense shake that can be used for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. You’d have to eat a whole lot of fruits and vegetables to equal the nutrition in a single glass of Shakeology—and you probably couldn’t do it for less than 170 calories, and definitely not for under $5. So whatever time of day you use it, and whatever recipe you try, know that you are serving your body what it needs for your optimal health (and happy tastebuds)!
15 favorite Chocolate Shakeology Smoothie Recipes
For all of the recipes below, add 1 serving chocolate Shakeo (scoop or packet) to the listed ingredients (yes, I get to have chocolate every morning).
Each Shakeology smoothie is rich in vitamins and antioxidants, and best of all, they don’t skimp on flavor. There are lots of other flavors (vegan options, too) and endless recipe variations. Check out more recipes online HERE or HERE. Enjoy!
- NUTELLA SMOOTHIE: 1 cup water + 1 tsp hazelnut extract
- CHOCOLATE HONEY BEE: 1 cup skim milk + 1 Tbsp. raw honey
- CHOCOLATE RASPBERRY: 1 cup water + frozen banana
- ALMOND JOY: 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- VANILLA ALMOND FUDGE: 1 cup skim milk + 1 Tbsp. almond butter + 1 tsp. vanilla extract + 4 dashes cinnamon
- PEPPERMINT PATTY: 1 cup water + tsp peppermint extract
- PB & J: 1 cup water + 1 cup fresh or frozen strawberries + 1 Tbsp. natural peanut butter
- CHAI COCOA: 1 cup unsweetened (cooled) chai tea + 2 tsp raw honey
- CHOCOLATE BERRY BLAST: 1 cup water + 1 cup frozen berry mix
- MOCHA CHILLER: 1 cup cold brewed coffee (update: there is now a new Café Latte flavor which tastes even better!)
- PLAIN JANE: 1 cup water
- BLUE MOON: 1 cup water + 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- CHOCOLATE BANANAS FOSTER: 1 cup skim milk + 1 medium fresh/frozen banana + 1/2 tsp cinnamon + 1/2 tsp rum extract
- MAPLE BUTTERCUP: 1 cup skim milk + 1 Tbsp. almond butter, 1 tsp pure maple syrup
- THE SYDNEY GO-TO: 1 cup almond milk + 1/2 banana
If you haven’t tried Shakeology yet, and would like to give it a try, I would be grateful if you would order your first bag through me. I’ll hook you up and help you get started. Remember, there is a 30-day money back guarantee (but so far I have yet to have anyone need it)!
I hope you’ve enjoyed the recipes! If you have any to share, please do!
Thanks, and here’s to many marvelous mornings!