My Focus T25 Review: Alpha Cardio
When you order the base set, it comes with two workout phases: Alpha and Beta, which each span a 5-week period of time.
Alpha sets the foundation for your journey , while Beta steps up the focus on your core with new moves to burn fat and sculpt lean muscle.
Below is a breakdown:
ALPHA Cycle 25-Minute Workouts:
- Cardio. 25 minutes of calorie-burning, sweat-drenching cardio.
- Speed 1.0. Ignite your quickness. Burn the fat. Fast-paced for fast results.
- Total Body Circuit. Focus on strength and resistance – without lifting a single weight.
- Ab Intervals. Cardio and ab intervals that shred the fat from your midsection.
- Lower Focus. Focus on your lower-body muscles – the key to burning fat and kicking up your metabolism.
BETA Cycle 25-Minute Workouts:
- Core Cardio. Get your sweat on! The progressive cardio-core workout is about you getting shredded fast.
- Speed 2.0. Rev it up with Shaun’s calorie-scorching, core-focused speed drills.
- Rip’t Circuit. Cardio … upper body … legs … abs … repeat! This si how you get ripped in 25 minutes.
- Dynamic Core. You’ll go from vertical to horizontal and back again in this dynamic, crazy core routine.
- Upper Focus. Shaun will help you develop the upper body of your dreams. All you have to do is FOCUS.
In the base kit, you’ll also get:
- Quick-Start Guide.
- Get It Done Nutrition Guide.
- ALPHA-BETA Workout Calendars.
- Stretch Workout.
- 5-Day Fast Track.
- B-LINES Resistance Band (15 lb).
- 24/7 Online Support.
- Core Speed (an extra DVD if your order through your Coach or Team Beachbody).
There is also a GAMMA phase. More on that later.
OK, enough of that. On to my review!
The CARDIO DVD is the first one you’ll need on Week One, Day One, but also at least once per week for the first 5 weeks, so I thought it would be appropriate to start with this one.
The first thing I noticed when unpacking the box is that the calendar for the program is printed right on the DVD case. This may seem insignificant, but it’s perfect for traveling, or if you tend to lose or tear your calendar like I do, and it makes me feel like Beachbody is listening to its customers. The time and equipment needed is also printed on the case, so you don’t need to wait until you load each DVD to see what you need. Nice touch.
TIME: 25 min. EQUIPMENT: Nada!
This workout is very efficient, to say the least. It starts right up and uses every second of the 25-minute time allotted. Most every move is presented in progressions, and there is a Burnout phase in the end for a focused push on your way to the cool down. Note: the cool down is separate/not incorporated within the 25 minutes.
So here is a summary of moves for CARDIO (Alpha Phase). Tania (remember her from Insanity?) modifies everything (i.e. stepping side to side in lieu of jumping jacks, squats instead of jumps, etc.) so you can follow her during the parts you need to, or for the whole time if you aren’t ready to go all out just yet.
In the first 2 minutes, Shaun starts with knee lift progressions: Slow knee lifts, then on toes, slow jog, high knee jog. In the next 2 minutes he does the jumping jack progression: Jack feet, double jack feet, add arms double jack, then basic jack.
Next up, the lower body progression
Pivot lunge step-in – quads starting to feel it at this point – , lunge step with a small hop, then keep it up, but now touch knee, then progressing to touch floor.
And then the cardio progression
A little relief here – Heel tap up & back, lateral sprints, lateral mountain climbers, jump rope normal speed then up/back slow (my quads!), half-tuck jump.
Whew! First 15 min done!
Next: The burnout…one min each…
Basic jack/Pivot lunge + touch floor/Lateral mountain climber/Half-tuck jump/Control squat/Hop squat/Hip hop up + back in squat position/Hip hop squat /Sprints/On your mark + up down (L) (R)/Low kick/Low kick on toes/Low switch kick/High switch kick.
Now for some speed & agility
Running lunge/Split lunge agility/Jack feet out + in/Speed + agility. This reminded me of Asylum Vol. 2 without the ladder.
The final burnout (last 5 min to FOCUS and PUSH)
Hop hop squat/On your mark + up down/High switch kick/Speed + agility/Hop up + back/Hop side + side/Alt speed knee slow.
At last…here comes the last 90 seconds
Alt speed knee fast/High knee jog/Slow control jog.
That’s it, and Shaun yells, “TIME”!
My hip flexors and quads really felt this one! It was challenging and VERY sweat-producing (even when following the low impact modifications)! If you stay on the DVD there’s a short stretch/cool down (2 minutes). All in all, I absolutely felt I got at least an hour’s worth of a workout in 25 minutes – as advertised!
Focus T25 Cardio gets a “thumbs up” from me!
- The time! It’s a short and sweet 25-minutes. I absolutely love this!
- No equipment needed
- Go at your own pace – Tania modifies every move
- Focus on technique – Shaun T gives constant feedback and encouragement
- Focus on core + cardio, for a huge calorie burn
- Fun & wide variety of moves
- “Real” meal plan that I can actually live with
-Can be challenging for a beginner, so you’ll need to be patient with yourself, or follow Tania.
-Quick pace may seem too difficult (although my second time with Cardio went much better than my first). Again… keep following Tania until one day you don’t need to anymore.
-The music could be better, although this isn’t really noticeable, since the whole time you are pretty much just trying to FOCUS (maybe Shaun T purposely made this choice so we won’t get distracted). Again, not really noticeable.
If you’re doing this workout, post a comment to share your thoughts!
To your success and beyond,